top of page

General Terms & Information

Check In

When you arrive at MAIA you will need to submit copies of your immigration documents. Later in the semester you will attend a SEVIS presentation that explains the regulations that will govern your stay here. Failure to submit your documents or attend this presentation may jeopardize your SEVIS status and your ability to continue classes.

You should bring copies of the following documents:

  • Copy of Form I-20 (with Port of Entry stamp at top right)

  • Copy of US visa stamp

  • Copy of passport ID pages

  • Copies of all previous Forms I-20 (for any transfer students)


Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

The student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is the Department of Homeland Security’s electronic database. SEVIS tracks and monitors nonimmigrant students during their stay in the United States, specifically focusing on:

  • biographical information (date or birth, country of citizenship, etc.);

  • local and overseas addresses;

  • academic information (including enrollment status, academic program level, major, program start and end dates);

  • employment authorizations and recommendations;

  • visa document issuance;

  • extensions of stay;

  • transfers to/from other US educational institutions.



MAIA is required to comply with all immigration regulations governing student status and must update all student information each semester.

Students who violate their immigration status may be subject to removal from the US. Losing your legal status will seriously impact or potentially end your studies in the United States. If you are found to be out of status your SEVIS record will be terminated and you will be expected to apply for reinstatement or leave the US within 15 days.


A visa is the stamp or sticker placed in your passport at A US consulate or embassy outside the United States. A visa is only a permit to enter the United States. Once here, your Form I-20 governs your immigration status. You must make sure your visa is valid for entry and re-entry to the US. An expired visa must be renewed at a consulate/embassy in your country prior to re-entry. Information on visa applications, fees, and US embassies can be found at

Form I-20

By signing the Form I-20 you are agreeing to follow all rules and conditions stated on page 2 of the Form I-20. Your Form I-20 expires on the date you complete your studies which may be sooner than the date listed on item #5 of your Form I-20. This cannot be extended once your have completed your program,; however, F-1 students are permitted to stay in the US for 60 days after completion.

If you lose your Form I-20, or it is stolen or damaged, you must immediately request a replacement Form I-20 from the Director of Student Affairs or Immigration Assistant.

Change of Address

You must inform Director of Student Affairs of any change of address within 10 days of moving. This is particularly important to those matriculating to any of the University of Massachusetts campuses.

Medical Leave of Absence

Students must obtain the written recommendation of a qualified American medical practitioner (Doctor, Physician’s Assistant or Nurse Practitioner). This written recommendation must include the reason and length of medical leave. This must be submitted to the Director of Student Affairs in C204.

Travel Signature

Students must obtain a travel signature from the ISSS office prior to any travel outside of the US. Getting a travel signature can take up to two weeks so students should submit all paperwork far in advance of travel. All students requesting a travel signature should fill out a Travel Signature Request Form and submit his or her most current Form I-20.

Students needing to travel during the semester must obtain request permission for their instructors for absences (unless family emergency/illness it will be unexcused) and make arrangements for work to be made up.


Massachusetts public health regulations require that all international students provide “Proof of Immunization” compliance within 30 days of registration.

Required Vaccinations

  • 2 doses MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccines or a positive Titer showing immunity

  • 1 dose Tetanus-Diphtheria or Tdap within the past 10 years

  • 3 doses Hepatitis B vaccine

  • 2 doses Varicella vaccine



All students planning to transfer from MAIA to another school need to submit a completed Transfer-Out Request Form and submit a copy of the acceptance letter and transfer in form from the new school. This request must be made directly by the student and no transfer can be completed without a completely filled Transfer-Out Request Form.

Students with questions about the transfer out procedure should contact:

Leah Boccaccio– Coordinator of Student Services
Meredith Mara – Vice President

bottom of page